This style pizza avoids the use of red sauce and relies entirely on, traditionally, olive oil, garlic and basil, with the occasional vegetable added. Our version adds more veggies and is done, in this case for a dinner party, and as such, uses the precooked pizza crust recipe that involves whole wheat flour and leaves more time to enjoy your guests rather than make pizza crust on the spot. This particular pizza uses a couple of smoked plum tomatoes that were part of a “mother batch” of smoking I had done earlier in the week.
Equipment/ utensils required:
Pizza stone, chef’s knife, cutting board, mixing bowl, large sauté pan, colander
1 small zucchini cut into medallions
1 small yellow squash cut into medallions
½ sweet onion cut into rings and halved
1 small Italian eggplant, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 spear fresh broccoli, florets separated from stem
2 smoked plum tomatoes cut into quarters
12 basil leafs, fresh
8 spears of asparagus
8 cloves of poached garlic
8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese cut into discs
6 tbsp. olive oil
- Add 2 tbsp. of the olive oil to a preheated large sauté pan and when the oil has heated add the zucchini, onion, eggplant and yellow squash until tender and brown. Remove the veggies from the heat, drain in a colander, and place in a bowl to cool for assembly. You can do this well ahead of time and store. Just be sure that the veggies are free of any excess liquid before you assemble the pizza.
- With the sauté pan still hot add the asparagus and broccoli and lightly brown until just tender.
- Place the precooked pizza crust onto a cool lightly floured pizza stone.
- Drizzle on 2 tbsp. of the olive oil and then add all the vegetable ingredients except the asparagus then the mozzarella cheese and basil, and finally the asparagus spears.
- Place the stone and pizza in the oven that has been pre heated to 400 degrees F.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and then turn on the broiler for about 2 to 4 minutes just until the cheese begins to turn in spots to a golden brown. Turn off the oven and remove the pizza and let it rest for a few minutes before cutting.
Makes 8 slices
For the Crust per slice:
Calories 131, Fat 2.0 gm, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 292 mg, Carbohydrates 24.4gm, Fiber .8 gm, Protein 3.2 gm.
For the ingredients per slice:
Calories 196, Fat 16 gm, Cholesterol 15 mg, Sodium 158 mg, Carbohydrates 5.6 gm, Fiber 1.2 gm, Protein 8.7 gm.
Total for slice with ingredients:
Calories 327, Fat 18 gm, Cholesterol 15 mg, Sodium 450 mg, Carbohydrates 30 gm, Fiber 2 gm, Protein 11.9 gm.