Equipment/ utensils required:
Blender or food processor, chef’s knife, medium or large sauté pan, large sauce pot, medium mixing bowl, sealed container, measuring spoons, liquid measuring cup, dry measure cup.
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
2 tbsp. white-wine vinegar
2 tsp. maple syrup
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon ( if you’re not partial to tarragon try fresh marjoram or oregano)
8 ounces small pasta shells, preferably whole-wheat
2 slices bacon (apple wood smoked) or other
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
2 cups chopped dandelion greens, any tough stems removed
2 cups baby spinach
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. To prepare dressing: Combine goat cheese, vinegar and maple syrup in a blender or food processor and blend until combined. Add 1/4 cup oil and tomatoes and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in tarragon.
2. To prepare salad: Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
3. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Drain on a paper towel. Crumble when cool. Wipe out the pan. Add 1 tablespoon oil and onion and cook, stirring, over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
4. When the bacon and onion are cool, toss them in a large bowl with dandelion greens, spinach, pasta , Parmesan, and 1/2 cup dressing.
5. Portion about 1 cup of salad onto plate or bowl and drizzle more dressing over each serving, if desired.
6. Cover and refrigerate the remaining 1/2 cup dressing, if any, for up to 3 days.
MAKE AHEAD TIP: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 3 days.
Makes about 8 cups of salad
Nutritional Information: Calories = 542, fat = 28 g, Cholesterol = 33 mg, Sodium = 792 mg, Carbohydrates = 57 g, Protein = 1 g